Raymond George Cox was born in Wauwatosa, WI on July 11, 1932, to George and Annitha Cox. He was made a child of God in the cleansing waters of Holy Baptism on August 28 of that same year at Good Shepherd’s in West Allis, WI. He attended grade school there and made public declaration of his faith on May 19, 1946. He graduated from Wisconsin Lutheran High School, 13th & Reservoir, Milwaukee. He attended the University of Wisconsin – Milwaukee (Forestry) for one year, then enlisted in the U.S. Marine Corp from 1951 – 54; active duty in Korean War. On August 6, 1955 he married Lois Marie Stewart, they moved to Iowa State College, Ames. Inspired to ministry, he transferred to Concordia Seminary, Springfield, Illinois. His vicarage year was in South Shore and Germantown, South Dakota. His final year of study was at Wisconsin Lutheran Seminary, Mequon, WI graduating in 1961.
The ministry of Reverend Raymond George Cox
- 1961 – 1971 Called to WELS Mission in Zambia (then Northern Rhodesia, Africa). In 1963 he and Rev. Richard Mueller began exploratory mission work in Malawi (then Nyasaland)
- 1971 – 1974 Pastor of Good Shepherd’s Lutheran Church, West Allis, WI
- 1974 – 1984 Return to Zambia, serving in Lusaka
- 1984 – 1992 Return to Malawi, serving in Blantyre, Lilongwe and Mzuzu.
- 1992 – 1994 Called to Apacheland, Arizona. Superintendent
- 1994 – 1996 Called to Cameroon. Seminary Principal. Malaria led to return to USA
- 1996 – 1999 Pastor of Christ Lutheran Church, Keystone Heights, Florida
- 1998 Appointed to Humanitarian Aid Committee by Board for World Missions
- 1999 Retired from full-time ministry and moved to Columbia, Tennessee
- 2001 - 2007 Pastor at Faith Lutheran Church, Oshkosh, WI
- 2007 Final Retirement from formal ministry
The Lord blessed Raymond and Lois with five children; Gregory (Katy), Lynnea (John), Michael (Ginny), Leonard (Lois Mary), Bradley (Debbie) and grandchildren and greatgrandchildren. Raymond cherished his sister Marion (Leonard Newman), Michael (Marlene), Grace, Marjorie (Gordon Fabian) as well as nieces and nephews.
In accordance with his Lord’s infinite wisdom and divine mercy and grace, Pastor Raymond Cox opened his eyes to the glories of heaven on February 12, 2020 while at Eden Meadows Rehabilitation Center in Oshkosh, WI. He had faithfully proclaimed God’s Word throughout his life of 87 years, 7 months and 1 day. Precious in the sight of the LORD is the death of his saints. (Psalm 116:15)
Visitation will be held on Sunday, February 16, 2020, from 2-4 PM at St. Paul’s Ev. Lutheran Church, 1010 Adams Ave, North Fond du Lac, WI, 54937. The funeral service will follow the visitation at the church at 4:00 PM.